Monday 28 September 2009

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

All I knew about Frankenstein was that it involved a monster and I wasn't far wrong with that idea! Frankenstein is simply about Victor Frankenstein who creates a monster, then the creator is hunted by the created.

I like the idea of Frankenstein and I understand how it could be scary, but Frankenstein didn't really appeal to me. Thrillers need a plot that is full of suspense and a connection between the characters and reader, but Frankenstein did not have either of these. I felt everything was rushed and skimmed over. I wanted to feel Victor's losses, I wanted to know what he felt when he was locked up, but I just didn't get it. It did not come up to my expectations.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The book is easy to read and despite never really scaring me it was a strangely pleasant book to read. Not too complicated and I wanted to know what happened at the end. The positive of skimming over things is that the story never stands still for a long and as such it is quite fast paced. I read the book in a couple of days.

Frankenstein could be a brilliant book to some readers and as such is rated as a good book, but I never made that connection and had just a pleasant read.

Rating 2/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment